Kai Time, Making Choices - Being Safe and Students Make Good Impression

Kia ora koutou. Ngā mihi maioha ki a koutou katoa.

Warm greetings to you all.

Wow - that week went quickly! It has been great to see the children so engaged in their learning and I’ve really enjoyed starting to get to know them. A few children have come to the office to introduce themselves, which has been really nice. They represent themselves, you and their school very well with their respectful manners. Our students are very active as well in the sporting community, check out photos below from the various sports our tamariki are involved in.

Part of my role in taking over from Emily at Waihi East has been to help supervise eating at morning tea and lunch time. You might know that there is a ‘kai basket’. Children are able to take items out of the basket, or they can make a swap. As some children were choosing to swap their fruit for treat items (e.g. bag of chips, jelly strings) we have decided that children no longer need to swap. They keep their own food and can choose from the basket.

In the school’s I’ve worked in most recently, I’ve always read classes the book, ‘I said No! A kid-to-kid guide to keeping private parts private’. As it can be a tricky issue, the book is a good way to help children in what to ’think, say and do’ and who to go to for help if they need it. If you would like to have a look at the book before I read it in a few weeks’ time, it is with Sharon at the office. You can also find information, including a YouTube video, on the internet by searching for the title of this book - https://youtu.be/c7aESb0drUs. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Have a great week!

Ngā mihi nui, Whaea Steph